www.beck-ipc.com
www.beck-ipc.comwww.beck-ipc.com  | ImprintImprint
FAQFAQ  | SearchSearch  |
RegisterRegister   |LoginLogin

GPT General Purpose Timer missing

Questions and discussions about the operating system RTOS-LNX and the corresponding C-LIB.

GPT General Purpose Timer missing

Postby linus18 » 26.03.2017, 15:24

Hello,

I am trying to port my complex SC243 project to SC145. It was said that RTOS-LNX is compatible to RTOS-PPC.
However, I cannot find any possibilty to use a general purpose timer on the controller.
Where are the timers? Are they still in beta? Are they even not planned to be part of an industrial controller?
I would be happy to receive any information concerning this feature.
Best Regards,
Bert Brückner

Hello,

the used i.MX6 processor only provides two GPTs. The first one is used by the kernel and is not available to user applications. The second GPT is probably free to use (I'm not 100% sure here). However, there seems to be no kernel support to use this GPT from userspace so far. To make this GPT available over some RTOS-API would certainly require some significant research on how to make this possible. So far we did not have the time nor the need to look into this complicated subject. I fear that this GPT API functionality will not be added within the next few RTOS versions. Sorry.

Out of curiosity: What kind of GPT functionality you're looking for: Input Capture or Output Compare?

Best regards,
André Pribil
Software Development
Beck IPC GmbH

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I'm using one GTP timer in Input Capture mode (GPT_INTERNAL_INPUT and GPT_ICT_ANY) to trigger an ISR function.
The timer count value is being adjusted constantly within the ISR because the function drives a stepper motor with variant acceleration and brake ramps.

Will it be an usable alternative to use RTX_NewFineTimerCB instead?

Best Regards,
Bert Brückner

I fear that the resolution of the RTX_NewFineTimerCB() will not be fine enough for your needs.

The resolution for this API's callback interval has been 1 @Chip-RTOS timer tick. I believe this means 1 millisecond on the RTOS-LNX variant.
Jack Gatrost
Software Development
Beck IPC GmbH

Hello,

I already had doubts about using RTX_NewFineTimerCB().
Even with using a higher RTI rate via CHIP.INI it would be no good replacement for the now missing hardware timer.
By the way, the RTI setting in CHIP.INI is not yet documented nor released for the RTOS-LNX system....

If there is no possibility to makeup a decent high resolution timer in SC145, it will, sad enough, not fit my needs at all.

Thanks for any future support or solution in this matter.

Regards,
Bert Brückner

Return to RTOS-LNX